Friday, October 14, 2011

Misty Mountain Top

Some go up those hills when the mist is already on them trusting in their ability with map and compass. Not me because I don't see the point if you can't see anything. Sure you could go up on a clear day and then the mist comes down quick and you'd better be to able to navigate. But you went up with a chance of some decent views. I went up Errigal in Donegal once on a sunny morning and the mist came in all of a sudden when I was halfway up. Well I kept going because its a straightforward well worn path and by the time I hit the top the mist had cleared. But not in these here hills would I keep going. The mountain top shrouded in mist in the picture above is Binn Idir an Da Log, or in English- The Peak between two hollows, at 702 meters the highest in the Maamturks range in County Galway. I got up to that point at 630 meters before turning back. I came back a few weeks later and it was all clear.




This is taken from the top looking back at the higher part of the ridge where the mist started in the top picture.



Looking west from near the top to the neighbouring range called The Twelve Bens. Its a tricky descent on rough quarzite terrain so you really want a clear day.



This time looking to the southwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment